Who's ready for some more 2022 Fantasy Football Action! I know I am, and in this article I'm going to be breaking down each of my starts and avoids for Week 3 of the NFL Season.
Also, if you want to get in on the action at Underdog Fantasy, with Best Ball, Player Pick'ems and more, use my code "ANALYST" and match your first deposit up to $100!
Rather than going with the easy picks for starts and avoids, I try and focus on important decisions that fantasy managers actually need to make. Must starts and obvious sits within reason will not be on my lists.
A START is a suggested lineup move based on matchup, and an AVOID is quite the opposite. It is NOT a must enforce. So if I recommend avoiding Josh Jacobs, and the only player you have to replace him is someone like Devontae Booker, use your judgement and realize that a backup who won't see touches is not a better option than a starting QB.
That being said, lets win some leagues! 🏆
🔥🔥🔥 GARRETT WILSON vs CINCINNATI BENGALS - Not only did he lead the team with 14 Targets last week, but Wilson also saw his snaps increase from just 49% (still had 8 Targets) to 61%. It's clear that he's progressing as the WR1 on this team, and I only expect his target share and playing to increase as the season goes on.
🔥🔥 TONY POLLARD @ NEW YORK GIANTS - In the first and only game where the Cowboys actually looked functional, we saw Tony Pollard swallow up 16 Opportunities (including 7 Targets) on just 39% of snaps. He's clearly the favorite in the passing game and his efficiency as runner awarded him a touchdown last week as well. With Schultz likely out and a lack of receivers around Lamb, expect heavy usage again from Pollard in this divisional matchup!
🔥🔥🔥 JAKOBI MEYERS vs BALTIMORE RAVENS - I was a knee injury away, from having Meyers as my start of the week. That's for a few reasons. One being the Ravens secondary is absolutely abysmal this year, they let both Waddle AND Hill go for over 150 Yards in the same game. Another being based on Meyers' usage last week. 13 Targets and lead all Pats receivers with 82% of snaps with an injury. He practiced on Friday, so it's likely he suits up for Week 3, and if he does he will be in my lineups.
🔥🔥 JAHAN DOTSON vs PHILADELPHIA EAGLES - You can just as easily start Curtis Samuel as well, but I am specifically highlighting Dotson because of his matchup against James Bradbury on the perimeter. Through Adam Thielen was the Tight Ends was really the only way for Kirk to move the ball last week with Maddox making plays in the slot and Slay locking down Justin Jefferson. Dotson also lead all Commanders WRs with 99% of the offensive snaps and has 3 TDs in just two games so far.
🔥 TYLER HIGBEE @ ARIZONA CARDINALS - It's not bad as it was a few years back, but we've seen TEs early do well against the Cardinals. Kelce (8/121/1) and Waller (6/50/1) are of course some of the best in the league, but Higbee has more targets than BOTH of those guys and is bound to find the end zone in Week 3 with all the attention on Cooper Kupp.
- GREG DORTCH vs LOS ANGELES RAMS ; Welcome to your weekly Greg Dortch start suggestion, in this week's edition we have the Los Angeles Rams! The Cardinals will likely find themselves in a passing game script, and Dortch could very easily continue his 14.9 Points per game as he continues to man the slot with Rondale Moore missing yet another game.
- TREYLON BURKS vs LAS VEGAS RAIDERS ; Prior to the Titans waiving the white flag on Monday night, Burks was getting VERY involved and had 6 targets basically at the half. Even with missing an entire 30% of the game to the backups, Burks still improved his playing time from 37% to 45%. Expect his snaps and usage to continue to evolve with an offense desperate to gain some traction.
- RUSSELL GAGE vs GREEN BAY PACKERS ; With all of Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and Julio Jones (most likely) out this week, Brady may need to turn to Gage in the slot against the Packers. He tied the team lead (outside of Evans who was ejected) with 8 targets and figures to play an important role next to Breshad Perriman and Scotty Miller.
🛑 KYLE PITTS @ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - I hate being the one to say it, but it's time for Pitts to ride the bench. His usage has just not been what anyone has expected and Arthur Smith's comments on the matter weren't encouraging either for his usage to actually improve. There are guys like Gerald Everett, Logan Thomas, Tyler Higbee, Juwan Johnson, and Tyler Conklin that might be available and would be worth the start over Pitts.
🛑🛑🛑 AARON RODGERS @ TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS - He's not off to a hot start, and with Watkins out, and Lazard/Watson both questionable, it's going to be nearly impossible to move the ball in the Buccaneers stadium. I'm not encouraged at all by this matchup and I'd rather pivot to guys like Carson Wentz and Jared Goff if they're available.
🛑🛑🛑 RASHAAD PENNY vs ATLANTA FALCONS - With Walker III now in the picture, it's going to be even harder to rely on Penny. He dropped from 15 Opportunities in Week 1 to just 6 Carries in Week 2. His snaps also dropped from 69% to 41%. He is a must sit moving forward.
🛑🛑 CHASE EDMONDS vs BUFFALO BILLS - Speaking about trending in the wrong direction, Edmonds is another guy who saw his snaps and usage trend downwards when he was out snapped and out-touched by Raheem Mostert. This is will be an all-out passing affair, and Edmonds won't be invited.
🛑🛑 DARNELL MOONEY vs HOUSTON TEXANS - Justin Fields completed a whopping 7 Passes this week, and that was in a game where they were TRAILING. Credit the fact that they were more effective moving the ball on the ground, but it's worrisome nonetheless for the entire offense outside of Monty.
- TOM BRADY vs Green Bay PACKERS ; Brady is yet again expected to be down his top three receivers, which is just never ideal for a QB who doesn't run. I'm expecting him to be under constant pressure and it won't be easy to trust him this week.
- EZEKIEL ELLIOT @ NEW YORK GIANTS ; The usage and snaps are there, but the efficiency is NOT. Zeke has been unusable the first two games, and he just doesn't look like his old self at ALL. Be cautious in a deceiving matchup on Monday night.
- ZAMIR WHITE @ TENNESSEE TITANS ; Rumors have it that Jacobs didn't travel with the team to Tennessee, and if that's the case there's an opening in Vegas. An opening with McDaniels will fill with the likes of Brandon Bolden, Ameer Abdullah, AND Zamir White. There's a chance the rookie pulls off a good game if the Raiders get up quickly, but lower your expectations with a more than likely rotation.
Good Luck as always, and I'll see you back here for Week 4! 😉